I was taught implicit expectations were ok. It was ok to expect certain behaviors from certain people, for example:
- You expect your SO not to see anyone else if you agreed to be mutually exclusive
- You expect your SO to treat you with respect.
- You expect your SO to show up to a date or meeting at the agreed upon time
- You expect your SO to support your dreams and console you during your failures
And you would expect all of the above of your friends too, with the exception of #1…
With colleagues and business associates, you expect, for example:
- That they respond to you within 2 business days, if it warrants a response and they are not on vacation
- You expect your company to pay you on your pay day
- You expect your company would not like it if you did casual Friday on a Wednesday (unless you work in Tech)
- You expect your manager to “manage”
All that goes out the window with dating.
You cannot expect anything of anyone.
- You cannot expect that the person who you went on 2 great dates with will call you back for a date #3
- You cannot expect that he will want to “date” you after sex (or even call for that matter)
- You cannot expect he even likes you (even if you’ve been ‘dating’ for 1-2 months)
So keep expectations low, and have fun, girl.